8 sm head belgian endive
squeeze lemon juice
8 thin slices cooked ham
2 tb butter or margarine
1/4 c flour
1 1/4 c milk
1/2 c To 3/4 c grated cheddar or gruyere cheese
1/2 c to 3/4 c fresh soft bread crumbs
1/4 c grated cheddar or gruyere cheese
1. Trim the bottom of the endive heads and remove the outer leaves if necessary.
2. Cook in boiling salted water with a squeeze of lemon juice for about 15 minutes until just tender.
3. Drain well and wrap each head of endive in a slice of ham, then put into the baking dish.
4. Prepare the sauce while the endive is cooking. To make this, heat the butter in a saucepan.
5. Remove from heat, stir in the flour, return to the heat and cook for several minutes.
6. Remove from heat and blend in the milk. Stir over a low heat until thickened, add seasoning and 3 tbsp of the endive stock.
7. Add the cheese to the sauce, pour over the ham and endived.
8. Top with crumbs and cheese, brown under the broiler, then top with sliced tomatoes.