2 cups all purpose flour, sifted
2 tablespoons sugar
1 teaspoon baking soda
1 teaspoon cardamom
3/4 teaspoon salt
1 cup sour cream (thick sour cream)
2/3 cup milk
3 egg yolks, beaten
2 tablespoons butter, melted
3 egg whites
butter, about 1/2 teaspoon per well in the pan
confectioners` sugar (powdered sugar)
1. Set the ableskiver pan over low heat.
2. Sift together the flour, sugar, baking soda, cardamom and salt and set aside.
3. Combine sour cream, milk, egg yolks and 2 tablespoons butter.
4. Make a well in the center of the dry ingredients. Add liquid mixture all at one time, stirring until well blended.
5. Beat egg whites until rounded peaks are formed.
6. Gently spread batter over egg whites and fold together.
7. Test ableskiver pan by dropping a few drops of cold water; If drops dance around in small beads, temperature is right. Grease wells with butter, about 1/2 teaspoon per well.
8. Pour batter into wells, filling about one half full. With a fork turn ableskivers frequently to brown evenly. Do not pierce them. Ableskivers are done when a wooden pick inserted in center comes out clean.
9. Serve immediately sprinkled with confectioners` sugar.
10. If desired accompany with a tart jam,