1 cinnamon stick
6 firm, ripe pears
3 cups dry red wine
3/4 cup sugar
1 zest of lemon
1 vanilla bean
1. Peel the pears carefully, leaving stems intact. Trim the bottoms to make a stable base.
2. Combine wine, sugar, and zest in a saucepan large enough to fit the pears. Break the cinnamon stick, and scrape the vanilla bean into the saucepan. Tie cloves and peppercorns in a cheesecloth and add to the saucepan.
3. Bring wine to a boil. Reduce heat and simmer, uncovered, until sugar is dissolved.
4. Add pears, cover, and poach over low heat, turning to coat, for 20 minutes. (Liquid should cover pears.)
5. Remove from heat and cool pears in the syrup for at least 3 hours.
6. Strain syrup. In a saucepan, simmer syrup to thicken. Serve pears with sauce.