2 fresh birdseye (or serrano) chilli peppers
3 cups (750 mL/24 fl oz) rice vinegar
1 cup (250 g/8 oz) white granulated sugar
2 tablespoons lime juice
5 tablespoons plain (all-purpose) flour
1 tablespoon chilli powder
1/2 tablespoon freshly ground black pepper
1 tablespoon onion powder
1 tablespoon garlic powder
1/2 tablespoon fine salt
500 g (1 lb) squid cleaned
1 green capsicum (sweet pepper)
1 red capsicum (sweet pepper)
1 yellow capsicum (sweet pepper)
1 large carrot
1 large fresh red chilli pepper
1 small red onion
1 cup fresh coriander (cilantro) leaves
1. To Make Dressing: cut the chilli peppers in half lengthwise. Place the rice vinegar, sugar and chilli peppers in a saucepan over a medium heat. Stir to dissolve the sugar and simmer for about 20 minutes or until the mixture has reduced to a thin syrup. Remove from the heat and add the lime juice. Strain and let cool.
2. To Make Seasoned Flour: mix the flour and spices together and set aside.
3. To Make Salad: score the squid lightly with a knife to make a criss-cross pattern. Finely julienne the capsicums, carrot and chilli pepper. Finely slice the onion and mix it with the other vegetables.
4. Heat Vegetable Oil to a depth of 5 cm (2 in) in a deep saucepan or deep fryer over a medium heat. Dip the squid in the flour mixture until each piece is well coated and then fry until the flour crust is crisp, about 1 minute. Drain and then slice the squid into 1 cm (1/3 in) thick rings.
5. To Serve: add the squid to the prepared vegetables and pour over the dressing. Toss and add the coriander leaves.